Friday, August 21, 2009

Breaks my heart...

Annie came off the bus yesterday and as I hugged her, she broke down into tears. This is a first for us, but I'm sure not the last and it just broke my heart. She told me someone at school said something mean to her. She didn't want to talk about it or tell me who right then. Later that night she asked if I wanted to hear the story. I said of course I did.

Annie: At recess I asked Madison and her friend Madeline if I could play with them and Madison yelled at me, "No you can't. You're too young to play this game with us." Then they just started laughing at me.
Mom: What did you do then?
A: I just walked away, but she really hurt my feelings bad. I didn't know they were just playing a joke on me mom.

Madison is one of her best friends from last years class and lives around the corner from us. They play together all the time and have a great time...I've never heard of any problems before, so I'm hoping I won't hear anything again. Annie was just so sad...she was sobbing.

Girls are just so mean!! I hope I'm teaching Annie how to be kind and include everyone, but you just never know. She's such a sweet girl and makes friends so easily. I took her to school today and told her to make a new friend, since she's so good at it and have so much fun! And I also told her to make sure she's still nice to Maddie and that if she kept being mean, we didn't need to do things with her anymore. I realize this won't be the last time someone is mean to her or that she'll come home in tears, but man it sure does stink!! Makes me want to go have a good talking (or whooping) with Madison or anyone else who is mean to my kids.

6 comments:

jillpill said...

I knew I was really a mom when I wanted to take someone else's child and beat them! Not a pretty visual image, but after Andrew came crying home the first time, it was one I had. I'm so sorry Annie had to go through this lovely right of childhood passage. She is a sweet girl. Hang in there Annie!

Fisher Family said...

Girls are mean! I hate that... don't feel along in wanting to be mean right back to anyone who's mean to your child! They're pretty resiliant though... I hope the same things you do about my kids!

Paige said...

SO hard...one of those things in life that just plain suck. And there's no way around it. It is amazing what that "mama bear" instinct does...it's so hard to not be so protective and want to shelter them from the whole world... UUHHH tell Annie that just the other day when Brecken was trying to decide who to play with she said.
B= OH mom I know exactly who I want to play with
Me=who?
B= ANNIE...she had a huge smile on her face and a smerk in her eye knowing it wasn't really possible.
me= I wish you could play with her but she's too far away.
B= I know mom I know...but she's still my best friend and I would play with her if I could.


Seriously tell her Brecken still thinks about her and loves her and SO DO I

susan said...

This almost made me cry. That's so hard because you instantly want to get involved.

I love the cone tradition. You guys have the neatest traditions in your family...I'm going to have to steal all of them!

Christi said...

Oh my goodness! This started in first grade for us too and it was so sad!! I never thought it would be that hard on the mom of the kid who got their feelings hurt! Hope all is well with you guys, the girls are beautiful!

Annalyn said...

School is hard!! Kids growing up is hard! Give little Annie an extra hug for me - man it sure is hard to realize that they just can't stay with you ALWAYS and be protected from stuff like that...I miss you!